Car Insurance for Shipping Overseas
If you ship a car overseas, you'll need a specialized car insurance policy to protect against potential damage. Get quotes from several insurers before deciding.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Large numbers of cars are shipped from country to country every day
- These vehicles require specialized car insurance policies in place to protect against potential damage
- People who need to ship their vehicles overseas can save money on their insurance by applying the principles of car insurance comparison shopping
Cars do a pretty good job of what they were made to do, which is to transport people from one place to another.
That being said, from time to time the tables actually get turned, and people need to ship cars from one from country to another.
Shipping methods will need to be considered and owners of vehicles will need to figure out how to protect their vehicles while in transit.
This article will consider some common methods of shipping cars from one nation to another, and some common ways to protect these globe-trotting vehicles.
It will also touch on the potential role of car insurance comparison shopping and its ability to save car shippers time and money. Enter your zip code right here to compare auto insurance prices.
Shipping Cars Overseas: Issues to Plan For
Shipping a vehicle overseas may seem like a daunting task, but if would-be car shippers take the time to formulate a simple plan it can be a piece of cake. In order to get the ball rolling, overseas vehicle shippers will want to do the following.
- Learn about the import and export laws of the applicable countries – Different countries have different requirements about:
- what kinds of vehicles may be imported
- what kind of car insurance needs to be carried by these vehicles
- what the costs of potential import taxes or duties may be
- Learn about the export laws that are currently in force in the United States – The fees and paperwork requirements can change quickly, so having up to date information about documentation and taxes is a necessity.
- Locate an overseas shipping company that is both reputable and affordable – These kinds of companies will have specialized equipment and methods that can help to ensure that vehicles arrive at their destinations on time and in the same condition in which they were sent.
- Compare the rates and the associated services offered by a variety of overseas vehicle shipping companies – Car shippers will want to find out whether such companies provide services that include taking care of any required paperwork and ensuring that the vehicle being shipped is in compliance with any relevant customs regulations.
- Submit paperwork to the company in question – This paperwork may include declaration forms and permissions.
- Ensure that their vehicles are properly insured for the journey – A number of major insurance companies offer coverage for clients who wish to transport their vehicles across the ocean.
- Consider buying car insurance from the shipping company itself – People who need to ship cars can minimize their expenditures by carefully researching the prices of various shipping companies.
Once the insurance has been taken care of, it will be time to deliver the car to the port of exit. Vehicles can be driven there by the owner, driven by a surrogate, or transported to the exit point by some other mode.
Whichever delivery method is settled upon, vehicle owners should ensure that the vehicle has been prepared for its journey. This preparation can include draining certain fluids as well as ensuring that other fluids are topped up.
The paperwork of the applicable shipping company should be consulted for specific instructions.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Shipping Cars Overseas
Are shipping brokers worth the extra expense?
Prospective car shippers may find that there are seemingly large numbers of potential car shipping companies out there.
While there are a number of large shippers to choose from, there are also many smaller companies that may claim to be large shippers.
In fact, some of these smaller companies actually act as brokers between people who need to ship their vehicles and large shipping companies, and in some cases charge exorbitant fees.
In order to avoid these predatory brokers and save money in the process, prospective car shippers will want to make sure that the shipping companies that they choose are the actual service providers.
Can shopping around for coverage save people money?
Individuals who are looking to purchase new car insurance policies and who also may need to ship their vehicles overseas can be well served by comparison shopping.
This shopping involves comparing the policy offerings of large numbers of insurance companies and then selecting the policy that is most appropriate.
Using car insurance comparison shopping websites is an easy way to simultaneously view policy information about many insurance firms. Individuals who travel a lot may want to choose car insurance companies that offer marine shipping insurance in some form.
Shipping Cars Overseas Can be Affordable
People need to ship cars from country to country for many reasons, and there is a booming industry to support this need.
They also need affordable and effective coverage for their shipped vehicles, and can certainly find this level of coverage if they make use of the “shop around” principle and the services of car insurance comparison shopping websites.
Enter your zip code below to compare today.